Life… our reality… we make plans and then assume everything will go that way. While it seems like it would be cool if that always happened, it wouldn't bring the same excitement and surprise we get from the way life really works. Yes, it's true, life doesn't always follow the well-ordered plan we have for it. And that's Cool!
However, at the same time, the feeling of being adrift and at the mercy of so-called “circumstances” is not a very empowering place to be.
So… enter the best of both worlds. Surprises can be fun, empowering, happy, sad, scary, frustrating, and so many other things. Yet, no matter what, they are what makes life interesting. If, however, you are organized… it is so much easier to “go with the flow” and ride life's surprise roller coaster with your hands in the air and the biggest smile on your face.
How does that work, you ask?
Here's a little Top 5 List for being organized that will get you on your way…
1) Understand what you've got… that stack of papers on your desk, the websites you visit, the amazing posts you've saved (somewhere), the books you've read. Understanding what information you actually have is a massive first step.
2) Trash, delete or vaporize everything you don't need or use. Holding on to things you don't use just weighs you down. It takes up space in your mind and in your life that you could use for something much more interesting :).
3) Put all the rest of the stuff into a system that best suits what it is you're storing. For all electronic stuff there are a multitude of software systems that can handle that type of information very well. The cool thing is you get to choose which system to use; the one that is in sync with your brain and the way it organizes things.
4) Now that you have your “chosen” storing system, the next step is to set it up so you can find things super fast and easy. If you have to use too much brain power to retrieve stuff it kind of defeats the purpose of organizing it in the first place.
5) Let go! Everything you're trying to remember… where things are, the cool websites you've seen, people's names and contact info… let go of it all. Free your mind!
The secret to riding life's surprise roller coaster? Get all of that “stuff” out of your head, put it in a system that makes sense to you and in a way you can find it, then free your mind! Only then will you have the flexibility to roll with life's ups and downs and still come out looking like a rock star!