30 Comments

1. Wendy Hewlett
    July 12, 2010 @ 2:51 pm

Great article and I loved the survey … we all need to know what are readers prefer!!

Wendy Hewlett
    Wendy Hewlett´s last blog post ..Napoleon Hill Wants To Be Your Mentor

2. Joseph McDevitt
    July 12, 2010 @ 3:15 pm

Pat & Lorna, Great post! I guess I am just a visual learner! I chose Pre-recorded video for that reason. If I see what is being explained to me I can relate much better. Also, with a recording you can rewind and go back and view it again & again. Thanks for the useful information! Joseph McDevitt
    Joseph McDevitt´s last blog post ..How To Make Your Own Lead Capture Page

Pat & Lorna Reply:

Joseph,

Thanks so much for taking part in our poll… and it seems like you’re among the majority in picking the videos. They combine the audio and visual, but we agree… it’s so much better to be able to see what someone is talking about and being able to replay the parts we want to review.

~ Pat and Lorna

3. Bill Cowan
    July 12, 2010 @ 3:29 pm

Thanks Pat and Lorna! These are great tools to apply in person or on the net. I used some of them successfully in a Sunday School class I taught and the class was made up of 30-50 year olds. Always great techniques.
    Bill Cowan´s last blog post ..Never Hold This In-

Pat & Lorna Reply:

Bill,

Great point! These techniques don’t only apply to the online world, they can be used when teaching and demonstrating in person as well.

~ Pat and Lorna

4. Alan Jenkin
    July 12, 2010 @ 3:56 pm

It had never really occurred to me before that how I learn affects how I respond to sales copy. Definitely food for thought here. I’m with Robin, though – I learn differently depending on the circumstances.

If it’s a one-off thing, like installing and using a plugin, I like a video with a step-by-step example that I can pause and restart. If it’s something I need to do more frequently, a PDF that I can refer back to works best.

Thanks for these thoughts, Pat & Lorna – as always you post such good content!

Alan
    Alan Jenkin´s last blog post ..Do You Like Calling Business Leads

Pat & Lorna Reply:

Alan,

Cool point… what we find as valuable in terms of learning tools can change depending on what it is we are learning. Although most of us probably have a learning style that we prefer more often than the others.

Thanks,
    ~ Pat and Lorna

5. Eddie Espiritu
    July 12, 2010 @ 7:42 pm

So true…so true! People have all different types of personalities and different ways they learn best. Any time we are producing content, we must keep this in mind as you suggest.
    Eddie Espiritu´s last blog post ..Black Diamond Builder Review

6. Kathy Jodrey
    July 12, 2010 @ 9:32 pm

This is a truly important and interesting topic. We really do need to understand where our visitors are “coming from” in order to reach them at a level that will be effective. Personally I prefer learning from pre-recorded videos. The combination of hearing and seeing information at the same time is powerful, and I like that I can pause and restart, and even replay, at any time.
    Kathy Jodrey´s last blog post ..Your 90 Day Plan to Freedom – Summer Scenery Series Video 2

Pat & Lorna Reply:

Kathy,

Personally, we like the videos the best as well… and it’s still a great idea to find out what our prospects and customers want so we can deliver our information in the way they like the best.

Thanks,
    ~ Pat and Lorna

7. Tim Somers
    July 12, 2010 @ 10:12 pm

Guess one should consider developing content in several different formats to cover all the different personalities out there – although I voted for pre-recorded video and that by far is the most popular in your statics…
    Tim Somers´s last blog post ..Email Marketing By Zip Code Latest eBlast

Pat & Lorna Reply:

Tim,

That is so true… and by doing that we get a lot more use out of our information and content as well as a larger market reach.

Thanks,
    ~ Pat and Lorna

8. Mark Hiatt
    July 12, 2010 @ 10:35 pm

I use the visual, auditory, etc. in my seminars when teaching networking skills – it’s important to have examples because very few people truly understand this concept (even some that teach it). I use the example of a man walking down the beach – what would he notice if he was visual? What if he was auditory? It might seem obvious but then how do you use this knowledge to describe your business in a way that captures the listener from all angles – that’s where it gets a little challenging. Great stuff – thanks for helping folks understand a useful tool.
    Mark Hiatt´s last blog post ..Networking Lessons From a Cockroach

Pat & Lorna Reply:

Mark,

That’s a great example to use to explain the differences the various learning modalities. And you’re right, it isn’t always that obvious. A lot of thought needs to go into how to get our message out to all the different types of learning modalities.

Thanks,
    ~ Pat and Lorna

9. Larry and Laura Morris
    July 13, 2010 @ 1:05 am

Hi Guys!!

This is so true!! I found this when raising my kids. One would learn in a totally different way than another would, and it was very important to clue in the teachers. It is interesting how high the video number is! I guess visual really is the most popular after all!!
    Thanks
    Laura & Larry
    Larry and Laura Morris´s last blog post ..TSA- The Best Kept Secret On The Internet

10. Jeremiah M. Wean
    July 13, 2010 @ 2:51 pm

Great content. With a great way to find out the best way to interact with your audience.
    Jeremiah M. Wean´s last blog post ..Home Shopping The Smart Way

11. Maya Mendoza
    July 13, 2010 @ 7:05 pm

Great Post.

I would like to add a couple of things that I trust will add another dimension to the post and the comments.

From my understanding of NLP and how our brain is wired for learning, you will find that the above info is based on research carried out some 20 years ago.

The computer age has changed learning preferences and orientation for most people under the age of 25.

Most people under 25 now require multi level stimulation. They need to be an integral part of the learning experience because one dimensional, visual and static information does not engage a brain wired up for playing on computer games.

When you look at computer game experince you can see that the process is interactive, at once visual audio and kinaesthetic.

Also Auditory learning triggers imagination / visualisation, thus it becomes visual learning when the experience is chunked up. The imagination also evokes feeling / emotions so Auditory learning is often paired with kinaesthetic learning (a requirement for movement is common)

Also we absorb and remember over 40% more information when it is presented with in a moving, audio visual format – and up to 60% more when the content is given contrext such as a story formay – which means multi- media is the most effective learning tool and interactive media is the best of all.

I hope that is helpful

Thanks ~ Maya
    Maya Mendoza´s last blog post ..Attraction Marketing -amp Law of Attraction What works best

12. Pat & Lorna
    July 13, 2010 @ 9:15 pm

Robin,

So true, it’s easy to forget that sometimes what we find useful and very helpful isn’t how others view it. Although we must admit… we still find that a lot of people print things out to read them or use them for reference. The “paperless age” has not yet arrived.

~ Pat and Lorna

13. Michael Berry
    July 14, 2010 @ 2:45 pm

You guys always have great information to share. Thank you so very much.

Michael

14. Nelson
    July 14, 2010 @ 4:37 pm

Gee, shows you how bright I am. I took the survey and the number one chose which happens to be what I chose is also the number one thing I hate to do. There is no know cure for old f#$ts like me who find it difficult to change. Thanks for this very needed post.
    Nelson´s last blog post ..“Ride Em Cowboy”

15. Nicole Rushin
    July 15, 2010 @ 9:25 pm

We do all learn differently, I am a hands on learner. I can’t build a thing unless my hands are right in the mess of it. Uhg, I hate to be told how to play a game and if I can’t just jump in and learn I don’t want to play. But I think I voted for the down-loadable pdf because I like to listen to recordings in my car and leverage my time. The problem is retaining what I have just listened to because if it is not immediately put into action somehow it is totally lost information for me. Thanks for this cool post.
    Nicole Rushin´s last blog post ..Elements and Themes- Notions from a Porch Swing

16. Melodie Kantner
    July 15, 2010 @ 11:41 pm

Great Post. I recently attended a leadership training event where the styles of learning were covered. It is helpful in knowing how to talk to people.

Thanks

Melodie
    Melodie Kantner´s last blog post ..What Economic Crisis

17. Theuns
    July 17, 2010 @ 1:23 am

Great post Coolest Couple, it just make sens i wish they can implement it in schools because you do not get dum children, only people that learn diffidently .

Pat & Lorna Reply:

Theuns,

So very true.

~ Pat & Lorna

18. Dr. Adam Sheck
    July 17, 2010 @ 8:42 am

P&L,
    Great post on the different styles of learning and how we must keep this in mind when we express our gifts to our marketplace. For me, I’m a pretty visual learner and am really starting to enjoy the increasing use of video on the internet. At the same time, while that’s probably my primary style, there is the issue of convenience and opportunity as well. Because I spend quite a bit of time in my car (who doesn’t these days if you live in a city like L.A. ?) I find that I spend a great deal of time listening to teleseminars and audio products. So my secondary style gets much more time than my primary. Just a thought.
    Thanks again,
    Adam
    Dr. Adam Sheck´s last blog post ..Sexless Relationship Don’t Be A Statistic!

Pat & Lorna Reply:

Adam,

Great point!

Not only HOW you learn,
    but WHERE you learn.

Thanks for pointing that out.

~ Pat & Lorna

19. Beth Allen
    July 23, 2010 @ 5:51 pm

Great post, Pat and Lorna. It is definitely important to appeal to as many senses as possible. I am highly visual, so much so that if I am not taking notes while I listen to an audio presentation/ speaker, I won’t retain it at all. I don’t even need to read the notes ever again, it’s something about the act of writing it that does the processing for me. If there are slides with it, I do much better with far fewer notes.

Thanks so much!
    Beth Allen´s last blog post ..The 5 P’s of Powerful Marketing

Pat & Lorna Reply:

Beth,

Sounds like your learning depends a lot on the kinesthetic aspect as well… physically getting actively “involved” in your learning by writing the notes. You’re so right… the more senses that get involved, the better possibility of retaining what we’ve learned.

Thanks,
    ~ Pat and Lorna

20. Angela
    July 24, 2010 @ 8:26 am

Great post guys! I think I have been a little to one sided in what I am doing and I think it is great advice to vary how you present information to reach a wider audience. Thanks for this great advice!
    Angela´s last blog post ..A Cool Free Seo Tool For Your Blog Posts and Articles

Pat & Lorna Reply:

Angela,

It is a challenge to remember that other people may not learn the way we do… and to come up with a way to deliver our content to those who learn a little differently. Technically it is possible to reach all learning styles, it’s just that we need to remember to vary our delivery.

Thanks,